Friday, October 23, 2009

A Whole New World

Friday. The last day of the week. Ice cream day. Sleep over day. Rewards for a milestone week at school.

She started to read. Sounding out words. Putting the sounds together and in the process opening up a whole new world. Words are her thing. A reader at 3 and a half. Amazing.

She inherited the love of reading from both sides. We are both readers and now a family of three, reading.

At bedtime, I asked, “who do you want to read books to you tonight?”

“I’m going to read. To the adult.”

“The adult?”

“Yeah, Mama. You.”

So she read. To me. No longer me to her, but her to me. Slowly sounding out the words.

I’m so proud.

6 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm a 2nd grade teacher with her M.Ed in Literacy and Language. Your daughter is doing awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh - that's wonderful!

And I absolutely ADORE the new blog header!

Wendy said...

so smart!

Asianmommy said...

I know--I cried the first time my daughter started reading to me. It was so amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Way to go!

Shelley said...

It sounds so cliche, but instilling the love of reading in your kids is so important...love that TLM is now reading to the adult!