Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Those 2 Bites Don't Really Count, Do They?

I have to say I am damn proud of myself. Only a couple itsy bitsy bites of that super delicious Pavlova. I easily could have had a couple of huge slices, but I wasn’t really ready to give up my no sugar streak. (I’m not *really*counting the tiny bites last night, so I’m now onto another day without sugar.) I have to say I’m feeling so much better without it. It’s kinda one of those things where you don’t know how well you really feel until you get sick. In this case I really didn’t know how poorly I was feeling until I made this shift. And if you want to know, I am not just replacing sugar with one of those nasty substitutes. I’ve just plain cut out the sweet treats. It’s hard, but I will encourage any of you crazies out there to give it a whirl. After the initial, stepping-off-the-cliff, shock of it all, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

I use a nasty substitute. I'm not that brave yet. I've never been a big sweets eater, so my only sugar is in beverages which is now splenda. You did great on just the 2 bites. I'm glad your feeling better. Amazing how a small change can make a big difference.

JC said...

YEA YOU!!! Coming off sugar is hard. I've done it but then slipped and went back. I don't allow myself a lot of sugar but I do have some. You are doing great and glad you are feeling well. I felt crappy when I came off sugar for several days starting on the third day for about three days.

Aleta said...

I'm not brave enough yet, but I'd like to know ~ what are you eating then, primarily? Do you get bored of the healthy foods? That's my problem. I can enjoy the healthy foods, but then it gets too boring. Argh!

Losinthisdangfat said...

That phrase "Stepping off the Cliff" is TOTALLY correct! That's exactly what it's like when you stop the intake of suagr, or caffeine, or processed food. It was SO difficult for me when I started Weight Watchers to stop drinking the sugary sodas', and to stop eating all the processed foods. I would get these HORRIBLE head aches all the time! I could never figure out what the heck was wrong with me, then I realized that I was eating and drinking WAY too much of the bad stuff! After a while of eating healthily, and drinking more water, and limiting the sugar, the headaches went away, and I really felt great!
Weight Watchers is an awesome program and I tell anyone I can!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for not having sugar! That's really awesome and so impressive. And good on you for just having a couple bites and enjoying them.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh sugar. I don't know if I could give it up. Its awesome that you are though! Good job!

ani pesto said...

Well done, I LOVE pavlova, it's hard to resist the huge slice sizes that normally get dished up but it's such a great feeling when you realise all you needed was a wee taste to be satisfied and not spoil your eating plan.

MaryFran said...

Good for you!!! I'm curious. How far have you taken your no sugar thing? If a recipe calls for sugar (not a dessert...but a typical every day dinner/meal recipe) will you just ignore that recipe or ingredient and either not make it or skip it....or will you use it (as long as it's only a small amount)

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Don't count those couple bites. Everything in moderation is ok. I am glad to hear you are not switching to the artifical sweetners. They are bad news. Not only are they not good for you, but they make you crave sugar even more. Good luck. I need to give that I shot...one day lol.